October 02, 2008

touristing 1.4

Welcome to installment four of September's travels, complete with official self-portrait.

Yep, that's where we're headed on this climb up part of the Great Wall. We drove about an hour out of Beijing to find a less crowded section of the wall.


Merlin's ready to climb (and Devin's taken off already)...







For those who need official certification, it's available here



Devin went much higher than Merlin and I did, and got there fast. Merlin and I made it to the tower on the left, and Devin and the other students went 2 or 3 towers beyond the one on the right.
Of all of our sightseeing trips we all liked this visit to Great Wall the best. I stopped climbing every once in a while and leaned out over the wall - amazing, I could smell plants! That smell made my day. I'd forgotten what they smell like - Beijing being what it is, we're so separated from everything that isn't human centered (except the weather, I guess). The air was hazy here, but it still felt good to inhale deeply.

1 comment:

Carissa said...

Looking at these pictures I was overwhelmed with love. I am so happy for you. :-)