October 17, 2008

Yay! A violin!

Yay! I just got my new violin (and hi Tanya - my violin teacher in Davis). I've been really hoping to get a violin for I don't know how long. My dad had been so busy (and my mom didn't know where to get one), but we finally did it!

So when we bought a violin in China it wasn't like we just went to one ginormous music store, we actually went to many tiny stores about the size of half of Davis' Baskin Robbins. We went to a bunch of stores and they were jam-packed with instruments. Down at the bottom is a gourd flute (something they have in China) and up at the top is something that might be a Chinese zither.

Right here I'm learning how to put in fine tuners and how to restring the A string. This is the shop owner he actually gives lessons and taught me a few things for free!

My mom and sister are watching also, there's my mom, with my bow.

While I was watching the shop owner put in fine-tuners, my sister was with the shop owner's friend learning how to play an erhu, a traditional Chinese stringed instrument.
Here he is playing it for Merlin and talking at the same time or looking somewhere else.
We are just about ready to leave, only waiting for the extra strings and a few touches of the new violin that only cost half as much as it would've in America.
*********
By Devin

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Devi!!! YOU GOT A VIOLIN IM SO PROUD OF YOU!! P.S jenny and everyone else sayd hi!! were proud of Merlin too!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Devin, you're just soaking up everything and learning tons of things aren't you! So glad you got the violin. And you know how to use a video camera, something I have never done! Maybe by the time we see each other again you'll have outgrown Sakura and won't want to watch it.
Jazirae

uchi deshi said...

I played saxophone. When my daughter started playing violin at the age of 5, I started playing violin with her so that she would practice. After she learned how, she politely encouraged me to stop playing the violin.