October 03, 2008

Our Street

Sometimes I realize I've gotten used to things which would be considered kind of abnormal back in the U.S.

For example, take the sidewalk on our street. Ok, I admit, I still complain about it so that means I'm not really used to it, but it's just a regular thing here - the fact that both trees and poles take up most of the room on the sidewalk and though it's not apparent in this picture, a majority of pedestrians actually walk in the street. If you are walking with another person, you can't actually walk abreast on our sidewalk, someone always has to be dodging obstacles. Also, be sure to watch out for the two inch bolts sticking out of the sidewalk (they're anchors that used to go with other poles that have since been removed), the missing bricks, or the open manhole.

Oh and the wires, look out for those, too.

I like the honesty of this sign: Caution, pedestrians running for their lives!


?


And the randomness of signs here. I don't think it has anything to do with the Chinese given here.
Ok, I take it back, I haven't gotten used to it all - I still find it as boggling and humorous as ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now this one, I could tell was Wendy writing. Hi Wendy!!! I can imagine the sidewalks are annoying, especially those protruding bolts. But I'm impressed that they bothered to leave the trees there! That's the good part.
You have a new camera, and bought a violin and are going on tours . . . sounds like you're doing ok financially - yay! And you're laughing at things - and in your photo you look very alive and glowing (can't be faked). I'm very glad to see that.
Love ya!
Jazirae