September 30, 2008

touristing 1.1

Dan's students arrived earlier in the month and they're the nicest bunch of college students - they're fun to hang out with and we've had the chance to accompany them on a few sightseeing trips. These pictures are from a day we spent at The Forbidden City, Tiananmen Square, The Temple of Heaven, and one other place whose name none of us could remember, so we just started calling it The Corrupt Official's Mansion (which, in essence, is what it was back in the Qing Dynasty).

Devin carried around the video camera and was quite happy to be the official videographer.

I discovered the extent of foraging in Beijing: some potted pomegranates. They're just turning red, d'you think I'd get in trouble with the Emperor's people if I stole one?
Gotta love what's lost and gained in translation (which reminds me, I have more of these funny things to post later).
I tend to focus on the out-of-place, the misfits and wild-hearts breaking through the concrete. I particularly like plants growing on buildings... they remind of me of who always wins in the end.I'll keep going through the photos we took (it's been a few weeks already, sorry!) and let you see what we've been up to.

No comments: