September 01, 2008

Pusan Film Festival Winners



A few days ago, my friend Pedma Tsedan and I received an email from Pusan International Film Festival and 2008 Asia Cinema Fund based in Seoul, South Korea, notifying us that we won the Script Development Award (with a moderate monetary award.

Pedma Tsedan is the only Tibetan film director in China. He has made quite a few films depicting life in contemporary Tibetan regions. He is mostly known among Tibetan fans and scholars of Tibetan studies.

Six months ago, during a casual conversation over dinner, he asked me if I would be willing to be his producer for a film called “Balloon.” Upon hearing the story of Balloon, I immediately felt it would be my cup of tea, too, because it resonated with my own work and lived experience in eastern Tibet. As an emergent film director, Pedma is not well funded enough. As his producer for the film, I decided to seek funding. Thanks to the World Wide Web, we found Pusan International Film Festival and its 2008 Asia Cinema Fund. We’re at the stage of completing our screenplay/script. Our application survived a stiff competition with other applications from over 200 individuals and film companies throughout Asia.

We hope in the near future we could have a film studio in California, which will make our productions a lot easier. Maybe this is the start!

No comments: