July 28, 2008

on not always telling the truth

I'd been collecting anecdotes about the changes in Beijing as the Olympics draw nearer. Some of the things I'd noticed or had heard were positive, others not quite so.

I wrote it up with the intention of posting it but I changed my mind. I don't know if it's because I'm simply predisposed, as an American, to be critical of Chinese policies, or if it's just my own personal tendency, but I realized that it might be an interesting exercise to consider being in China as though I were engaged in a relationship.

Truly I'm here by the grace of the Chinese government. It was a huge bureaucratic hassle to get my residency paperwork, but I got it - I'm approved and certified. So why would I need to be so quick to point out faults?

It's not necessary to always draw attention to the negative qualities one finds in others. It's enough that I've noticed them, at this point, and while I may share them eventually, I think it's prudent to try to go deeper first, to try and see the intentions behind what I'm quick to criticize.

...I just wanted to say that.

No comments: