June 27, 2008

all the things I've been wanting to say

will mostly have to wait. Here's the short version, sans pictures, because I'm not working from my computer nor do I have the digital camera with me....

We've made it to Beijing!

We arrived in Shanghai on Sunday evening (6/22) and drove straight to Hangzhou, where we spent the next 4 days with Dan's family. All four days consisted of eating, sleeping, and watching TV, interspersed with a walk or two (usually to a restaurant where we'd be plied with huge amounts of incredibly good food).

Dan, as usual, was chomping at the bit to get back to work, but I truly enjoyed just sitting around and staring into space. Thankfully my Chinese comprehension is swiftly returning - and I was even surprised by how much Hangzhou dialect I still understand. Of course once conversations turn to specifics (rather than daily-life generalities), I'm pretty lost, but hopefully that'll change this year.

We took a few Hangzhou pictures, which I'll post as soon as I can. I'll probably just throw some retroactive posts in when I get around to sorting the pictures.

This morning we flew from Hangzhou to Beijing - originally we'd planned to take the train but a two hour flight that was discounted so it was cheaper than the 14 hour train ride was too good to pass up so we were almost immediately in Beijing.

Beijing is huge and the air quality is quite... what we expected ... :-) But our new apartment is great! It's light and spacious and the girls had a great time unpacking their things this afternoon and setting their room up. I hope to spend the next few days just kind of sorting at my own pace and making things homey. I'm not sure what the internet setup at home is quite yet, but hopefully we'll have something soon.

No comments: