March 18, 2012

I think we had a time warp

I don't know what happened.  One moment it was winter (and still February) and the next it wasn't.  And I've still got winter pictures to show you!  I feel really ridiculously slow and out of it and because it happens with some regularity, I'm beginning to think it's a major character flaw.

I hope you won't judge me too badly because of it and will instead just encourage me periodically - I do respond well to friendly pressure!

Because the pictures tell pretty much the whole story (with the exception of some factual details), I'll make this easier on everyone by making these "fluff" posts with lots of pictures.

That's ok, right?  :)
 ***

This year turned out to be unusual in its lack of snow.  Göttingen only had snow on the ground for about a week, maybe 10 days and it was never more than 2 or 3 inches deep.  It didn't really fulfill the Californians' hopes that if we were going to sit through an entire German winter, it should be real one.  Instead of white Christmas, we had a white 2nd week of February.  Meanwhile, in January and into February we took matters into our own hands and went back to the Harz (see the previous post for the map).

On the last weekend of January, Devin, Merlin and I went with our neighbors up to the Brocken*, north Germany's highest mountain (1142 m).  It really resembles a hill, being very rounded, but that's a result of having survived the ice age, so we forgive it.  We parked about 10 kilometers from the mountain and hiked in, stayed one night at a hotel at the top and hiked back out.



fox prints

The Brocken has more than 300 foggy days a year. We lucked out!
 It wasn't a difficult walk - just a lot of uphill, but because we followed a road we didn't have to clear our way through the snow which was about 4 feet deep.  There were also a lot of cross country skiers and the kids put a sled to good use on the downhill sections.  It was clear and cold but walking made it very comfortable.



There's a narrow gauge railway (dating back to 1899) up to the top.


 The top was very blustery with the windchill taking it down to -20 C (-4 F).  We ran around a bit, gasping for breath and watching the snow drift in the setting sunlight.

Don't we make good polar explorers?


Up at the top there's a train station, a weather station, a botanical garden (under the snow at this time of year), a hotel with a great observation deck, and an old soviet surveillance post which houses a museum.



View from the observation deck.  Primary forest can still be found here.

Post marker for the border between Soviet controlled land and West Germany.
And now for your viewing pleasure, two slightly odd videos of snow drifting.  Sorry about the major bumpiness of the first.






Notes:
* I recommend checking out the Wikipedia article since the Brocken has interesting geological, meteriological and biological features.  And there's more on the history of the mountain, too.

We saw Benno Schmidt at the cafe - he holds the world record for number ascents of the Brocken, coming on foot to the summit nearly every day (more than 6,000 times so far).

As a side note, I found I had a major disconnect between my feet and my brain, constantly feeling like I was walking in white sand (you know, beach style).  I had to stop and touch the snow a lot to actually remind myself what it was. I also admit to having a strong urge to eat it.  Also, I like the sound snow makes when you step on it.  Kind of squidgy/squeaky.  In Göttingen I walked on the last bits of snow whenever I could.  I'm kind of strange I think.

Also, if anyone is up for a visit in June, there's a 2 day walk from Göttingen to the Brocken (87 kilometers).   Our neighbors who periodically run marathons said that by the end of the walk they were reduced to an odd shuffle and could hardly get up the step into the hotel! How's that for encouraging?

7 comments:

The Duke said...

Thanks for posting!!

Belle of the Blues said...

Hooray! I love it when you post! Your pictures are absolutely stunning. I want to talk a walk/sled/hike in the snow! Fun. Miss you guys and hope all is well. *HUG*

Belle of the Blues said...

I meant 'take' a walk, but talking is good, too!

Wendy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wendy said...

I love that you thanked me for posting - I have a voice in my head that does the same: "sheesh, it's about time, thank you very much!"

I'm also glad that you enjoy the photos - if blogs weren't so photo friendly, it'd be really slim pickings around here! I'm always glad to see your pics too and see how big your boys are getting. Such cuties!

I hope your family is having a great start to spring!

Wendy

Anonymous said...

Reminds me of walking to Hold High School, where your mom and I graduated, many a cold, snowy, dark and windy Michigan morning.

Astro said...

The snow videos remind me of Michigan and walking to Holt High School on snowy mornings as your mom and me did (during different years).