September 24, 2011

small details

If you've known me for any length of time, you've probably noticed I'm extremely detail oriented.  This can be a good thing - as in the case of my finding sometime employment as a copy editor.  It can also can be somewhat maddening, as in the case of the recent move when I kept track of everything down to the stray screws at the bottom of the junk drawer

It still bugs me that I found, then lost again, the last screw to the closet door mechanism in Merlin's bedroom.

Sometimes, being focused on details, the bigger picture eludes me; but usually I have the benefit of being made happy by very small things*.  I couldn't ask for a greater gift than to be able to notice really interesting details, to find small sensory treasures all over the place.

This town, having been in existence in some form since at least 1150, is full of rich detail.  Over the centuries things have disappeared, been covered over, replaced, restored, created anew.  I'm finding and appreciating something whenever I can.  Lucky you, you get to notice them too, sometimes with description, sometimes just in photographs.


Enjoy!


---
*  Ooo, I think I like this phrase in its Winnie-the-Pooh-esqueness:  "Made Happy by Very Small Things," kind of like a "Bear of Very Little Brain."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi family finally im sending a message. sounds like you are liking germany. your house is beautiful. it looks very large. is there much yard. how is school after these few weeks. have you figured out the bus route. how far are you from shopping. ?????? we are fine here keeping busy with family. our house made it through the hurricane thunderstorms and earthquake. im haveing a craft show so am doing some sewing. you guys have an awsome time if i can do anything for you let me know. have an awsome time in germany. lots of love and miss you A J

Wendy said...

Hi AJ! We've not got internet at home yet so I'm not online much. I want to be much more regular about putting up photos and such here, including house pictures, etc. I think you'll really like it here when you guys come (hint, hint)... :)