August 18, 2008

The Kingdom of Really Good Popsicles

I do believe we've found the popsicle holy-land, here in China. We never knew what was possible, being from the land of something as weird as Otter Pops. Having given up on popsicles in the U.S., other than the ones we made ourselves (coconut/pineapple juice with banana - yum!), we've been converted!

Here's what we've found so far:

Hawthorn - tart and sweet
Cantaloupe/Honeydew (two flavors, two colors, swirled)
Sweet Red Bean (Dan's favorite)
Sweet Mung Bean (surrounded by vanilla ice)
Yogurt (tangy sweet)
Green Apple 'Jello' - as it melts it's actually jello-y
Yogurt with dried pineapple and raisins
Pineapple with icy crunches in the middle
Orange - with orange flavored ice on the outside and 50/50 style orange & cream on the inside
Orange and honey with chunks of orange-y ice and orange zest throughout
Purple taro root - admittedly, not that tasty
Strawberry
Coffee ice cream
Coconut
Bubblegum flavor
Iced Honey Peach
Kiwi
Milk - kind of like sweet milk (ice milk maybe)
Cake (like a white cake)

The smart things: the icy coating on some keeps the softer 'ice-cream' in the middle from melting too quickly and contains it when it does start to melt; the icy chunks in the middle are tasty and fun to crunch without being too hard.

posted by all of us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally! It is about 3am here in California, and I have read your blog at long last. =) Funny to come across it (the link was buried in my vast e-mail collection) when you have posted on frozen treats, as making goat-milk ice cream has been a bit of an obsession recently. A new ice cream maker has joined the house, thanks to a college roommate wedding gift, and in 20 minutes and zero salt, we have ice cream. Cookies and cream is my favorite so far. Now I just have to figure out what to do with the 20+ lbs of salt I got for the old machine...

I've been wondering how you guys have been- watching the Olympics, I certainly am reminded of your current adventures on an almost-daily basis. And of course, I am also reminded of my much-neglected farm blog which is in serious need of updating.

I should probably wander off to bed- I have two whole sale orders to deliver tomorrow (today, really) and possibly the State Fair to wander around. Great pictures through out the blog- keep up the good work!

Bluebell said...

Austin was fond of honeydew melon flavored popsicles in Korea. I tried one once, we found a box at a Korean market. It was yummy.

Wendy said...

Sarah! Hi there! Did you recover from all that goat-show organizing you were doing? :-)

I remember when we tried to make goat-milk ice cream at your place - sans working ice cream maker... kind of challenging, eh? :-)

Yep, we've been watching the Olympics, sporadically as none of us really want to be glued to the borrowed TV, but...

hey, send me a link to your blog sometime. I'll post it here and then all my three other regular readers can see what's up in Vacaville.

Chantel - I'm glad the coding tips helped - I noticed that your pictures on your blog have captions now :-) Hi to Austin and the boys!

Creaturespirit said...

What a great idea, they sound wonderful, I want one NOW! Ohh, they've put our popsicles to shame!

Anonymous said...

Hi Merlin! It's Emily. I came back from Japan. It was very fun there! I ate some shaved-ice called Kakigoli. It was very good ! We also went to a lot of places in Japan. My favorite time was when we went to see the fireworks. When we went there it was so crowded in the subway station! Then we noticed that the fireworks made pictures! First we saw a watermelon, then a heart and a smiley face.
I hope you're having a great time in China! I miss you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Merlin I read a lot on your blog. I can’t wait till you viset .I got your message.Were are you going to live when you come back?

Anonymous said...

Nghili, I sent you an email to your mom's email address :-) - Merlin